Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: New Audio Interview with Mike Ness

  1. #1
    Inactive Member deadliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2005
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is an interview with Mike, done over the phone, its over 11 minutes. Quality is not that good tho.

    Interview MP3

    Here is the summary of the interview.


    Social Distortion: 30 years of evolving rock


    Richard Guzm?n
    The Desert Sun
    July 17, 2006
    Fueled by angst-driven rebellious spirit, Social Distortion burst onto the punk scene in the late 1970s.

    Evolving to include rock, grunge and rockabilly, the band has enjoyed a series of mainstream hits like "Ball and Chain," "I Was Wrong," "Story of My Life," and a cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire."

    The band weathered a series of rotating members and long stints between albums to maintain musical credibility and a loyal fan base for three decades.

    Led by the raspy voice of frontman Mike Ness, Social Distortion will perform Tuesday and Wednesday at Key Club at Morongo.

    Ness recently spoke to The Desert Sun by phone.

    Question: What are you guys working on now?

    Answer: We are working in the studio now, writing and rehearsing. We'd like to be in the studio next year putting out another album.

    The last one was such a good experience for us, we still feel inspired. We've always taken a long break after an album, but now I realize you just can't assume everyone is going to be waiting there for you five years later.

    Q: How far along are the new songs? Are we going to hear any of them at the show?


    A: Very possible, yeah... I think we might have played one last time, a song called "Bakersfield." I love to just bring the new songs out before they're even finished sometimes because I'm exited about it.

    Q: You've been doing this for a long time. How have you changed as a songwriter? Because a lot of your earlier songs were very rebellious angst-filled songs. You're a lot older now, so is that still happening in your music, still in your lyrics?

    A: Oh, absolutely. I mean, that's a part of my personality... it's ingrained in me. That's probably gonna get worse as I grow old... but at the same time as you grow older hopefully you gain a little bit of wisdom. So maybe now I'm a little more educated when I'm rebelling against something, a little more informed or a little more aware.

    Q: How does that translate into your music?

    A: The same way it always has. I look at myself as a songwriter. Like you, I'm a reporter and I report what I see, what I experience, what I feel.

    Q: What are the things you're writing about now?

    A: The last record had a lot of songs about love and loss, maybe this record I want to be different... but I don't want to give it away... Every record you want better than the last one and a little different. I'm not sure of the direction yet honestly.

    Q: You had a couple of solo albums in the past. Are we going to see any more of those?

    A: I would think so, yeah. I mean that was a great experience for me... but right now, with Social D, I'm having so much fun with it that it's hard to stop.

    Q: You had an injury a while ago and broke your wrist... are you better now?

    A: I was downhill skateboarding with my son and showing off. I'm better but it was a major setback.

    Q: What's in the future for Social Distortion?

    A: Just to continue on... I don't see any end in the near future.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mrsweezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2006
    Posts
    411
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member mattSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 29th, 2006
    Posts
    133
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    deadliner... Thank YOU! You RAWK!!!

    I especially liked that bit about the Six Million Dollar Man, hahaha... faster, stronger...

    we can rebuild him! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •